Tampines beggar flees after 'lost EZ-Link card' scam gets exposed by passer-by

Published
Updated
Google Preferred Source badge

A man who approached passers-by in Tampines, claiming that he lost his EZ-Link card to solicit money was exposed by a victim and fled.  

Shin Min Daily News received several calls from readers complaining about a beggar who lurked around Tampines Mall. 

When reporters went down to the scene yesterday (Oct 12), they saw the beggar, a man in his 40s, asking for money from passers-by. 

However, within five minutes, another man showed up, claiming that the beggar was a fraud. 

The beggar quickly fled.


Scroll to continue reading
Follow Stomp on

Said the man:

“He (the beggar) previously told me that his EZ-Link card was missing and asked for $10 from me.

“However, later I saw him doing the same thing to another passer-by, asking for $10 again!”

Storekeepers from nearby shops told reporters that the beggar frequently operates near the mall, asking for amounts between $2 and $10. 

Another victim, Miss Liu, 52, told Shin Min Daily News that she had seen the beggar using the same tactic to ask for money. 

She added:

“The first time I saw him, he asked for $2 to take a bus home, so I gave it to him.

“Later on, he tried using the same method on me again, so I just ignored him.”


Stomp Comment
Have something to say? Join in!

Explore more on these topics

See something interesting? Contribute your story to us.

Get more of Stomp's latest updates by following us on:

Loading More StoriesLoading...